Disqus Commenting System for Blogger
When it comes to adding a commenting system for your blog, you have many choices. You can use the default commenting system available in Blogger which is not bad. You can also switch to Google’s own Google Plus commenting system for Blogger which is great as long as your visitors have a Google Plus Account. You can even switch to Facebook commenting system for Blogger, which is great if your visitors are comfortable commenting with their Facebook account.
Besides those, another popular commenting system which is widely used and is mainly implemented in blogs is known as Disqus. It is a hit commenting system with advanced features such as ajax loading, social network integration, notifications, spam control, moderation, and detail statistics. It is a commenting system filled with power, that acts like a social network in your blog’s commenting system. With the growing number of Disqus users, you can really increase your blog’s interactivity.
All modern commenting systems are really good. Choosing a commenting system for your blog is totally up to you and your visitors’ preferences. However, if you do decide to go with Disqus then they have created some neat tools to integrate this awesome comment hosting system to your Blogspot blog. You will be able to install Disqus in blogger in no time.
How to Install Disqus in Blogger / Blogspot
Here are the steps that you need to follow to add Disqus commenting system to Blogger:
- Create a Disqus account from their sign-up page. You can use your Google, Facebook or Twitter account to sign up really quickly. Their own signup procedure isn’t that painful either. Verify your account and complete the signup procedure.
- Head on to http://disqus.com/admin/create/ and create a new blog profile. Give your blog a name, an admin url (http://*.disqus.com) from where you will be administering your comments for that blog and also select a category. Click on “Finish Registration” to complete this step.
- On the next step, you will be asked to choose your platform. From the options available, select Blogger. You will be redirected to an url like http://*.disqus.com/admin/settings/blogger/
- In the setup instructions for Blogger step, click on “Add My Blog to my Blogger site” button. A new window will open which will show your Blogger blogs if you are logged in. Select the blog where you want to add disqus comments, give the widget a title like “Comments” and click on “Add Widget”.
- Disqus will replace Blogger’s default commenting system. You are done if you are starting a new blog. But if your blog is old and already has comments in it, you will have to import your existing Blogger comments.
- To Import Existing Blogger Comments to Disqus:
- Use the disqus import tool which will be available at http://*.disqus.com/admin/discussions/import/platform/blogger/
- One that page click on “Import comments from Blogger”.
- In the next step, you will be redirected to blogger where you will have to grant access to your Disqus account. Click on “Grant Access” button to move ahead.
- After your Disqus is authenticated, your Disqus admin page will reload. Now, select your Blogger blog from where you will be importing comments. Click on Import.
- After a short while, your comments will be imported and you will receive an email confirmation. You are done with setting Disqus for your Blogger blog.
Removing Disqus from Your Blogger / Blogspot
If you decide to stop using Disqus commenting system for your website, you can easily remove it from Blogger.
Just follow these steps:
- Login to Blogger / Blogspot
- Go to your Blog admin area for which you will be removing Disqus comment system.
- From the admin links on the left, go to “Layout”.
- In your template layout, you will see a widget added with the title that you gave while installing it using Disqus.
- Click on “Edit” in that widget and then in the popup screen, click on remove.
- Disqus will be removed from your Blogger and it will switch to Bloggers’ default commenting system.